Discord in Bukit Vista applies as a virtual office since we are all working from home. This communication tools will be very useful for quick discussions that are more efficient than other written communication tools. It allows faster decision making (for quick discussions), feeling the online presence of other teammates. Here’s a Beginner’s Guide to Discord for more details that are not mentioned below.
Two kinds of Channel types
How to differentiate channels:
- Text Channel (TC) uses the “#”
- Voice Channel (VC) uses the “🔈”
Room/Category: Main Lobby
Channels in the Main Lobby
- #Welcome = Where we usually welcome all the new peeps once they joined our server
- #Announcements = room for announcements, sharing news, or spilling teas lol
- #groovy-commands = please input your song list in this text channel (if you want to use Groove Bot)
- #music-command = text channels for you to input your song list for Fred Boat Bot
p.s. You can move the text & voice channels, and members to everywhere by dragging them to the desired area where you need them to be.
Disclaimer: Please don’t drag the other members for fun. it’s okay to drag them without their consent, but please make sure that they are online and available at that time.
Each Chapter have their own text channel and 2 voice channels
- Text channel – #xx-discussion = a text channel for asynchronous discussions or text messaging during the discussion/communication in the voice channel
- e.g. to give necessary links for discussions.
- Voice channel – XX Discuss = room for main discussion within the chapter members
- Voice channel – Breakout Room 1 = multifunctional room: can be used to discuss sub-topics when the main discussion room is full, or just hanging out in the breakout room.
p.s. feel free to add another voice channel (e.g. Breakout Room 2) if needed (when the main VCs in your chapter room are full), then you can delete it again once you’re done using it.
PLEASE DO NOT INPUT YOUR PLAYLIST IN THE DISCUSSION TEXT CHANNEL, AS IT WILL COME AS SPAMMING AND IT WILL BE DIFFICULT TO LOOK THROUGH PAST MESSAGES
Please set status according to your current availability.
- Online – your online and available
- Idle – same with Slack’s “Away”
- Do not Disturb – when you’re free but is unavailable
- Invisible – i wouldn’t recommend to use this one during working hours, but feel free to be invisible after working hours
- Set a custom status – For lunch, day off but still online, outside, etc